Main content
2019 Web Header.png

100 Tiger Treasures

Richmond's 10 Tiger Treasures were selected at the club's Gala Centenary dinner in 2008 to celebrate the Club's Centenary. After a comprehensive voting process from fans and the contribution of a panel of judges. 

The winners were selected from 10 categories, spanning 100 of the most skilful, inspirational and history-making events which have helped shape the club's centenary in the VFL/AFL.

Click on the headings below to see the 10 nominees for each Tiger Treasure category.

Best Individual Performance of the Century - Kevin Bartlett
Put his unique stamp on the 1980 finals series, kicking 21 goals as a half-forward in Richmond’s three appearances, including a Grand Final-equalling bag of seven in the Grand Final massacre of the Magpies, which earned him the Norm Smith Medal for being best afield.

Class of the Century - Royce Hart
Thrilled Tiger fans for a decade with his match-winning exploits at centre half-forward. His dominance up forward was a major factor in the Club’s run of four premierships from 1967-74.He was an extraordinary mark, a deadeye shot for goal, very courageous and, when the ball hit the ground, he swooped on it like a rover.

The Strong & the Bold - Jack Dyer
No player in the history of the game epitomises his club more than the man known as “Captain Blood”. He struck fear into the hearts and minds of all opposition players during the 1930s and 40s. Was renowned for his bone-jarring shirtfronts, which left many an opponent bloodied, battered and bruised. He bled for the Tigers and expected his teammates to do likewise.

Defining Moment - Save Our Skins
On August 15, 1990, Richmond announced that it needed to raise $1 million by October 31 that year, or it would cease to exist. The Save Our Skins campaign was immediately established to keep the Tigers alive. With Club president Neville Crowe as the figurehead, the SOS campaign did exactly what it set out to achieve, raising the necessary funds to stave off the threat of extinction.

Servant of the Century - Graeme Richmond
Graeme Richmond filled a variety of important roles at Tigerland over more than 30 years of devoted service.He was a shrewd, ruthless administrator, who never wasted an opportunity that could benefit his beloved Tigers. His strength lay in his relentless persuasiveness – he was a masterly recruiter and negotiator. And, as a speaker, arguably there have been none finer in league football history.

Brave Act of the Century - Francis Bourke
Bourke collided with teammate Greg Strachan in a tense Round 21, 1980 clash with North Melbourne at Arden Street and had trouble seeing because of the blood streaming down his face. He was subsequently moved from full-back to the opposite end of the ground, where he immediately made his presence felt, taking a diving chest mark and slotting through a crucial goal.

Premiership of the Century - 1967
Richmond, under coach Tommy Hafey, finished the 1967 home-and-away season on top.The Tigers disposed of Carlton by 40 points in the second-semi, then faced up to a star-studded Geelong combination in the Grand Final. At the end of a spectacular contest, Richmond had broken a 24-year premiership drought.Barrot, Brown, Hart, Dean and Bartlett starred, while unsung hero Ronaldson kicked three vital goals.

Mark of the Century - Michael Roach
The superstar full-forward was a noted high-flyer during his 200-game career at Tigerland, but the mark he took against Hawthorn at the MCG in 1979 was, almost literally, out of this world.‘Roachy’ actually rose so high over a huge nest of Hawk players, he ended up making it a chest mark!

Goal of the Century - Michael Mitchell
The little Tiger excitement machine decided to take off on a bit of a trot during the team’s final home-and-away match of the 1990 season, against Sydney at the SCG. After gathering the ball deep in defence, ‘Mitch’ took one bounce, then another, and then five more (seven in total), before calmly drilling home an incredibly inspirational goal.

Controversy of the Century - Windy Hill Brawl
On May 18, 1974, all hell broke loose at half-time of Richmond’s clash with Essendon at Windy Hill as the players were leaving the field . . . A massive brawl erupted, involving players and officials of both clubs. Following a league investigation, several players and officials received suspensions, the heaviest being for Graeme Richmond, who was rubbed out until December 31 and also fined $2000.