On October 13 in 1934, Richmond captured its fourth league football premiership, scoring a decisive victory over South Melbourne in the Grand Final at the MCG. 

1934 Grand Final details

Richmond 4.4 10.8 16.11 19.14 128
Sth Melbourne 4.3 6.5 6.11 12.17 89

Goals: J.Titus 6, T.O’Halloran 3, R.Harris 3, P.Bentley 2, R.Martin 2, D.Baxter, J.Murdoch, E.Zschech
Best Players: Martin, Geddes, Titus, O’Neill, Baggott, Bolger, McCormack, Sheahan, G.Strang.

The 1934 premiership team 

Backs M Bolger M Sheahan K O’Neill
Half Backs J Baggott G Strang B McCormack
Centres S Judkins E Zsechech A Geddes
Half Forwards T O’Halloran D Baxter J Murdoch
Forwards R Harris J Titus B Foster
Ruck P Bently J Dyer R Martin
Reserve H Edmonds    
Coach P Bently    

1934 Grand Final review

This game was played in fine conditions before a crowd of 65,335 people. Richmond commenced this game in a positive fashion with the highlight of the quarter being a long drop kick goal by centre man Zschech to open the Tigers scoring account. Harris and Murdoch also kicked fine snap-shot goals during this quarter. South Melbourne fought back strongly with late goals to Thomas, Brain, Nash and O’Meara; however, Richmond led by one point at the first change.

The second quarter began with both defences on top before Titus broke away and goaled. Pratt scored a quick reply for south; however, Titus answered with a fine angle goal. Harris and Martin kicked successive goals and then Titus goaled again after taking a superb mark. Bertram scored a goal for South but Titus broke loose to kick his fourth goal of the quarter to give Richmond a 27 point lead at half-time.

Richmond ran away with the game in the third quarter when O’Halloran, Baxter and Martin all snapped early goals. After this fine start, O’Halloran, Titus, and a snap from Harris all found the goals to give Richmond 7 unanswered goals. During this quarter, South Melbourne tried to “rough up” the Tigers with the end result being that three of their players were reported. Titus was again a dominant force in the forward line. Richmond went in at lemon time with an even 10-goal lead.

The last quarter was purely academic with the only highlight being South Melbourne full-forward Bob Pratt kicking his 150th goal for the season. Richmond’s coach, Percy Bentley, used the Tigers last line of defence Bolger, Sheahan and O’Neill to crowd South Melbourne’s brilliant full-forward Bob Pratt. This move worked very successfully as Pratt only kicked 2 goals for the day. Richmond also played a very physical game to prevent South from using their pace and skill as they did the previous year.

1934 newspaper
Click to enlarge