The Richmond Football Club Museum is temporarily closed, as the club begins its redevelopment of the Jack Dyer Stand.
All items housed in the Museum have been catalogued and are currently in secure storage. Items will be exhibited to supporters upon completion of the redevelopment.
Should you wish to donate any items (trophies/newspapers/medals/photos/film/clothing etc..) please contact Richmond Historian Rhett Bartlett at firstname.lastname@example.org.
One of our proudest acquisitions in the Museum’s history is the 1920 Premiership cap presented to wingman Reg Hede. This significant item was donated by grandson Jim Brennan to the club in 1997.
2021-2022 Museum acquisitions of note
Souvenir footballs relating to the 1972 Grand Final, and 1974 premiership – donated by the family of Bob Loughnan a long-time Richmond worker on matchdays and coterie functions.
A ‘Jeep’ guernsey, created in 2021 to celebrate 80 years in Australia. It was worn by players for a photo shoot recreating the 1941 team photo. The guernseys were not for sale to the public. Guernsey donated by Jeep.
A framed 1963 Richmond Fourths team photo. Noted players in the image include Michael Green and Bill Walford who played senior football.
As well, over the last year significant Richmond footage has been discovered by Rhett Bartlett. They include:
History of Richmond Football Club’s collection
On December 7th 1926 the club’s Minute Book records that “a cabinet be obtained for the Committee room for the purpose of keeping club records”. This would house Minute Books, Annual Reports, and club trophies.
In 1933 the club was gifted the 1872 Challenge Cup by the family of recipient Fred Hyde.
“President of the Richmond club, Mr Barney Herbert said the committee would be delighted to received such an historical trophy.” (The Age 16 Sept 1933).
The cup was won by the second incarnation of the Richmond Football Club, a junior side. Hyde was the captain of the team, however he died four months later in a gymnastic accident. He was 21 years of age. The item was gifted on the proviso it was to be placed in the club’s showcase where it still remains to this day. It is one of the oldest footy trophies in Australia.
On June 6th 1935 The Argus wrote that “the Richmond club can boast one of the most varied and extensive collections of trophies and curios possessed by any League club. The collection includes uniforms and footballs used in notable matches, and many photographs.”
In the mid-to-late 1980s, Bill Meaklim (then club historian) and Roland Weeks (later to become Museum Curator) began storing items in different locations.
In an oral history in 2015 Bill Meaklim said “There was a couple of cubby holes in the old building. One was a disused toilet where we stacked boxes. Those placed got filled. And I did give up a room at home.”
Eventually as the collection grew, the club began displaying many of its items in the board room situated in the Jack Dyer stand, where coteries nights were also held.
As Bill Meaklim wrote in 1986 Annual Report “The Richmond Football Club already has a museum of Club and player photos, trophies etc, but we are keen to keep adding to our collections.”
Throughout the late 80s and early 90s, particularly during the Save Our Skin campaign, supporters donated many items to the club’s collection as part of a persistent request by Bill for memorabilia, seasons tickets, photos and scrapbooks.
In 1992, Bill wrote in the Annual Report that a standalone office had been set aside “for the filing, storing and displaying of photographic and statistical information.”
In 1993 the Historical Preservation Society was created at Richmond consisting of Bill Meaklim, Bob Phillips (Director), Carole Blake (Marketing), Paul Hogan, Rohan Malley, David Norman, Ron Reiffel, and Roland Weeks. This significant step gave credibility to Richmond’s intent to save its history.
In 1996, the first official Richmond Museum was opened in the middle level of the (now demolished) Social Club Stand. Ron Reiffel was appointed curator.
In 1999, the current club historian Rhett Bartlett joined the Historical Committee.
It 2010 the Social Club Stand was demolished for the David Mandie Building, and the collection moved into the lower level of the Jack Dyer Stand. Roland Weeks was appointed curator. The Museum remained there until it temporarily closed late in 2017 when the success of the club on-field saw a requirement for more staff and resources. Since that date the collection has been in secure storage.